Saturday, March 29, 2008
Divisions of Toxicology
1. Emergency - deals with overdosage of drugs
2. Drug Abuse Screening- deals with substances of abuse
3. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring - deals with drugs for therapeutic use
4. Forensic - deals with the medical -legal aspect
5. Industrial - deals with industrial products.
SALICYLATE poisoning - is the most common cause of ET in children.
Salicylate/acetysalicylate - the active component of aspirin.
DRUG ABUSE SCREENING
Most common substances of abuse are cigarette and alcohol.
THERAPEUTIC DRUG MONITORING
The purpose of this is to establish the optimum concentration of the drug that could cure the patient.
Prohibited drugs are usually involved in this.
pesticides and insecticides are the most common substances involved.